Old 12-03-2004, 02:50 PM
Mary McHugh

Default Minimum corn row/size requirement?

FDR wrote:
I understand a minimum of 4 rows is required for growing corn, but what's
the minimum length? And is the spacing 12" between rows and plants?

I plant my corn in 4' square blocks. I usually squeeze in 4 rows so
that's 12" spacing all around. I have seen my neighbors plant corn in
hills. They plant about 4 seeds in a 18" or so diameter. Then they'll
plant another "clump" a few feet away. I have no idea how it worked out
but they were elderly people and always had the earliest tomatoes so I
think there was a lot of gardening experience behind their theory. ;-)

Mary