Old 12-03-2004, 03:01 PM
Ray

Default More arrests....

The current document from www.cites.org states the following:

"Appendix I lists species that are the most endangered among CITES-listed
animals and plants (see Article II, paragraph 1 of the Convention). These
are threatened with extinction and CITES generally prohibits commercial
international trade in specimens of these species. However trade may be
allowed under exceptional circumstances, e.g. for scientific research. In
these cases, trade may be authorized by the granting of both an export
permit (or re-export certificate) and an import permit. (See Article III of
the Convention)
Appendix II lists species that are not necessarily now threatened with
extinction but that may become so unless trade is closely controlled. It
also includes so-called "look-alike species", i.e. species of which the
specimens in trade look like those of species listed for conservation
reasons (see Article II, paragraph 2 of the Convention). International trade
in specimens of Appendix-II species may be authorized by the granting an
export permit or re-export certificate; no import permit is necessary.
Permits or certificates should only be granted if the relevant authorities
are satisfied that certain conditions are met, above all that trade will not
be detrimental to the survival of the species in the wild. (See Article IV
of the Convention)"

The following orchids are in Appendix I:

Aerangis ellisii
Cattleya trianaei
Dendrobium cruentum
Laelia jongheana
Laelia lobata
Paphiopedilum spp. [all paphs]
Peristeria elata
Phragmipedium spp. [all phrags]
Renanthera imschootiana
Vanda coerulea

All others are Appendix II.

There are a couple of associated comments:

"(For all of the following Appendix-I species, seedling or tissue cultures
obtained in vitro, in solid or liquid media, transported in sterile
containers are not subject to the provisions of the Convention) " is just
above the Appendix I list, and as a footnote to the Appendix II comment is:

"Artificially propagated specimens of hybrids within the genus Phalaenopsis
are not subject to the provisions of the Convention when: 1) specimens are
traded in shipments consisting of individual containers (i.e. cartons,
boxes, or crates) containing 100 or more plants each; 2) all plants within a
container are of the same hybrid, with no mixing of different hybrids within
a container; 3) plants within a container can be readily recognized as
artificially propagated specimens by exhibiting a high degree of uniformity
in size and stage of growth, cleanliness, intact root systems, and general
absence of damage or injury that could be attributable to plants originating
in the wild; 4) plants do not exhibit characteristics of wild origin, such
as damage by insects or other animals, fungi or algae adhering to leaves, or
mechanical damage to roots, leaves, or other parts resulting from
collection; and 5) shipments are accompanied by documentation, such as an
invoice, which clearly states the number of plants and is signed by the
shipper. Plants not clearly qualifying for the exemption must be accompanied
by appropriate CITES documents."

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"Geir Harris Hedemark" wrote in message
"wendy7" writes:
I wasn't going to get involved with this but can someone explain this
Appendix I & what George refers to?

Appendix I of the CITES agreement lists tigers, rhino horns, elephant
tusks and so on and so forth as things that you may not trade. These
things are truly endangered. A couple of orchids are mentioned here.

Appendix II lists species that are easily mistaken for Appendix I
species, or that may be endangered in the near future. This appendix
lists most orchids, if I am not very much mistaken.

Geir