Old 12-03-2004, 03:44 PM
Hal

Default Rouge frog

On 12 Mar 2004 01:26:56 -0800,
) wrote:

Sadly I found a dead frog at the bottom of the pond . Clealy a mating
casualty as the male frog was still clinging on to her! I felt sorry
for this chap so I got his lady out of the water gently removed him
and gave her a funeral.

Sounds very much like American toad behavior. I have dozens of
mating pairs in my pond each year and have become accustomed to
tossing the dead females, that I suppose are drowned by the males,
sometimes two males clinging to a female. If that is the only frog
you have I might worry, otherwise I'd destroy him and press on.
Sorry I can't send you a bucket full to replace him.

Regards,

Hal