Old 12-03-2004, 04:02 PM
Robert Gummi

Default Apples from seed

Jette Randlov wrote:

Have anybody tried it? I am wondering if you save seeds from apples grown in
a normal garden, the seeds will likely be cross pollinated and the offspring
F1 - so theoretically the offspring should give fairly healthy, large
apples. The taste cannot be guessed.

As far as I know, you talk about F1 if they are offsprings from
pure-bred parents. But there is no kind of apple that is at the same
time a species. A kind of apple is actually a single plant (even if it's
distributed by grafting onto thousands of trees).

You can have one kind of pure-bred pea, if you cross it with plants from
the same kind you will get offsprings of the same kind. If you cross it
with a different (pure-breeding) kind of pea you will get F1-Offsprings
with traits from both parents. You can't do it the same way with apples,
because you don't have pure-bred apple-parent-trees. Maybe it would be
possible to get pure-bred apples, but this would take centuries.

Of course it would be interesting to hear about someones apple-trees
raised from seed. But I only hear from people who /want/ to try it,
never from someone who /did/ it.

Bye,
Robert