Old 12-03-2004, 04:06 PM
Alison Johnson

Default Climbing rose for cold north wall. ideas?

I have a garden gate over which I'd like to grow a rose on a trellis.
The wall/gate is north facing and gets sunlight early in the morning,

but
nothing during the day of course.
The spot is also quite windy.
Winters here are quite cold, say like north England or Scotlandm, with
plenty of snow. The summers can be very warm.

To add to Sacha's list is Zepherine Drouhin. Climber, lovely heavy scent,
deep rose-pink, repeat flowering, excellent in shade, no thorns. The David
Austin website says this:

"(Bourbon) Although the individual flowers are not particularly fine in
themselves, this is one of the best and most reliable of all climbers. Great
quantities of fragrant, deep rose-pink flowers are produced with exceptional
continuity. It is particularly happy on a north wall and may be grown as a
shrub or for hedges. 12 ft."