Old 12-03-2004, 04:37 PM
FarmerDill

Default Apples from seed

Ok I have grown apple trees from seed. Years ago (John Chapman's era) every
body did it to some extent. It is extremely rare, however to get appleas aeven
approaching modern grafted stock. On the old homestead we used seedlings
mainly as roots to graft better apples on to. A few of the antique varieties
like Gloucester Cheese, Limber Twig, Green Skins etc reproduced closer than
modern apples but most were at best horse apples (good only for feeding to
horses). We had one that produced a nice looking red winter apple that we
called the cotton apple. It looked good but tasted like a mouth full of cotton.
If one has lots of room and time it is fun to play with.