Old 12-03-2004, 11:27 PM
SueAndHerZoo

Default Strange behavior...

Thank you, Lee, for taking the time to answer my post. I was beginning to
think my message was only showing up on my computer.

I don't know WHAT to think. The strangeness continues. I have since
removed that potted plant because they were all continually going back there
and getting stuck. Now they all seem to be hanging out near the edges of
the pond, on the surface. I noticed that my platinum koi has blood in his
tail, but don't know if that's a disease or part of being stuck behind the
plant. I'm hoping to spend all of my weekend out there trying to get the
pond cleaned up, opened, and running, and will hopefully get some clues as
to what's going on out there. I have been working 12 hours a day at the
office and it's dark and cold by the time I get home, so I'm cancelling all
weekend plans and devoting it to the fish. (Hoping the weather cooperates!)

Thanks again.
Sue
"Lee B." wrote in message
Predators? Were they maybe all looking for some place safe to hide? Spring
has sprung and maybe the predator types are hungry after a long winter.

Regarding the "frisky" behavior, I would suspect parasites before I'd

think
of spawning: I thing your water is probably still too cold. But the
creepy-crawlies are beginning to wake up, too.

Lee

"SueAndHerZoo" wrote in message
Hi. I'm in Connecticut and have been longingly looking at my pond

through
the windows for months now. On the warmer days I'd see the fish

swimming
around, and then there was that spell that the ice was so thick I

thought
spring would never come! I don't know why, but the water seems more
green this year than it has in any previous years. But that's not my
problem: Yesterday when I was home for lunch I was, as usual, looking

out
the window at the pond, and noticed my big platinum koi acting kind of
frisky. He was swimming fast around the perimeter, and even did a

little
jump. I thought "spawning?" but no, it's too early. I looked away

for
few minutes and when I came back, I didn't see him, but I did see a lot

of
splashing going on from a point where I keep some potted plants on a

ledge.
I figured he was still playing and feeling frisky and was trying to

knock
over a plant. This morning before work I did not see him, and at lunch
(now) I couldn't see him, either. I took a walk out there (not a wise

idea
in office attire - there's so much mud from this horrible winter!) and
found that he was trapped behind the potted plant! Not only that, but
there were 4 five others trapped, too! (one dead)

What in heck possessed them to all go back there and get stuck all of a
sudden? That plant has been there in that same place for years, why

this
year, and why all of them? I am totally stumped as to what caused

them
all of a sudden find that area so appealing that they got themselves

stuck
-
any thoughts?????
Thanks in advance.