Old 12-03-2004, 11:35 PM

Default Daylilies Spreading Like Crazy ...

I bought a house last summer with a steep bank in a wooded area and read on
the archives of this group that common orange daylilies work very well for
erosion control- better than the hybrid kind since they spread faster.

Boy is that the truth- a gardener gave me about 20 common orange daylilies
and I planted them on the bank and this spring they are sprouting up
everywhere- there's huge clusters of them (50+) sprouting up downhill 20-30
yards from where I planted any. The really weird thing is going to be if
these things keep spreading at this exponential rate which I assume they
will.

How exactly do they spread? I read somewhere it was only through roots but I
don't see how that could be unless one that I didn't dig in very well washed
downhill.
And there are some in my neighbor's bank that aren't downhill at all- just
parallel to my patch.

It's kind of fun watching these things make themselves at home in the area-
I have a feeling that long after I'm gone there will be tons of daylilies in
this part of town due to me.

Bob