Old 13-03-2004, 12:12 AM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Climbing rose for cold north wall. ideas?

"Tim Challenger" "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" wrote in message
s.com...
I have a garden gate over which I'd like to grow a rose on a trellis.
The wall/gate is north facing and gets sunlight early in the morning, but
nothing during the day of course.
The spot is also quite windy.
Winters here are quite cold, say like north England or Scotlandm, with
plenty of snow. The summers can be very warm.

Does anyone have any ideas for a rose that might feel at home here?
One with a scent would be nice but not vital. I'm a bit baffled by the
wealth of choice and don't really know where to start.

Thank you one and all :-)

I had assumed that climbing roses would not do well on a North wall.

Do they also manage O.K. in tubs, or is this pushing my luck too far?

I have a front concrete which is North facing.

Cheers

Dave R

P.S. if in tubs I could winter them on the South facing patio.