Old 13-03-2004, 12:52 AM
Kay Easton

Default Climbing rose for cold north wall. ideas?

In article m, Tim
Challenger "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at"@?.? writes
I have a garden gate over which I'd like to grow a rose on a trellis.
The wall/gate is north facing and gets sunlight early in the morning, but
nothing during the day of course.
The spot is also quite windy.
Winters here are quite cold, say like north England or Scotlandm, with
plenty of snow. The summers can be very warm.

Does anyone have any ideas for a rose that might feel at home here?
One with a scent would be nice but not vital. I'm a bit baffled by the
wealth of choice and don't really know where to start.

Just one word of warning. Everyone is recommending vigorous ramblers,
but you want this over a gate. We've just had to remove Alistair Stella
Gray from an archway over a gate (N side of house, sun in summer but not
in winter) as it's far too vigorous.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: