Old 13-03-2004, 03:24 AM
Jackson

Default Refrigerator pickles

By June I usually have filled up the spare refrigerator with pickles. I
just use vinegar, salt and fresh dill for the brine and Armenian Yard
Long cucumbers. They don't undergo any sort of heat treatment; they
are just washed and sliced and dumped in the brine in large jars. I make
more than twenty gallons and they are delicious. The problem is that by
March of the next year the uneaten pickles get soft and mushy and I
have to throw them out and so I have no pickles until the next batch is
ready to eat in July.

How can I keep them from going soft? Maybe a whole year is too long
to expect refrigerator pickles to keep. Maybe I need to use a different
variety of cucumber, or a different brine.

Thanks

--
Jack from Taxacola (formerly Pensacola), Florida