Old 13-03-2004, 06:20 AM
Sherwin Dubren

Default apples for seedlings

Somehow my reply got dropped (at least from my end), so I'm posting
again.

Mihai,
Perhaps you missed my point. U. of Minnesota might have planted
hundreds of seeds before they found a winner. Plus, who knows what
other genetic tricks these universities do to control their breeding.
I admire your fortitude, but I prefer to let the big people do the leg
work.
Most apples planted from seeds come out junk.
Before you waste a lot of your time, take a look at this article on
'Engineering the Apple', which goes into lots of detail about the
genetics
of apple trees, and how orchardists do it:

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m.../article.jhtml

Sherwin Dubren

Mihai Cartoaje wrote:

Steve wrote in message ...

By the way, what ARE you doing? Are you hoping to get good apples
from seed? I can't think of any other reason why you would care if
they were pollinated by a crab apple or not.

I have learned honeycrisp apples trees which would grow in my area, so
I might plant one. I shall still plant seedlings to help apple trees.
U. Minnesota has done it and it has found the honeycrisp.

mihai
47N, -40C in winter