Old 13-03-2004, 06:42 AM
gregpresley

Default Veggies on a slope in Seattle?

A lot of leafy greens don't require full sun - various lettuces, spinach,
etc. I think cabbage family stuff does better though in full sun - so
collards, cale, etc would not work as well. But parsley and mint would also
be fine in partial shade.
"Ken Fine" wrote in message
Hi all. I have a large yard in Seattle, right by Lake Washington, mild
climate. I planted vegetables last year for the first time and had
tremendous success with tomatoes and cukes on a flat, sunny part of my

yard.

My available planting space would be dramatically expanded if there are
vegetables that would tolerate being planted on a slope in our back yard.
The slope is fairly steep, perhaps 30-40 degrees, and during the summer
would be partially shaded by all of the trees and brush that surround it.

Can anyone suggest some vegetables that might do well on the slope? I was
thinking cucumbers might work OK; they seem to require less in the way of
sun than things like tomatoes.

Thanks in advance for your help! Gardening is fun, even for computer

geeks!

-KF