Old 13-03-2004, 09:42 AM
Loki

Default Cats - ongoing problem

il Fri, 12 Mar 2004 02:33:11 -0600, Katra ha scritto:

In article ,
"Loki" wrote:

il Wed, 10 Mar 2004 23:27:31 -0600, Katra ha scritto:

I use white vinegar to totally and permanently eradicate the odor of cat
spray, but I'm not sure that that is a viable solution to your problem.
;-)

Best bet is time and sunshine and to totally eliminate the problem,
fence the yard and get a dog.

Or if that is not an option, plant a large patch of catnip nearby, (it's
a mint so grows easily and spreads) to attract the cats away from the
main garden.

Good luck!

Even better, plant the mint in the neighbours' gardens, :-) I'll have
to do that myself

Good idea. G
Herbs are available right now at Wal-Mart. I even found some catnip
there!

I have the same problem, so I will try that white vinegar too. I've
found the smell takes weeks to go and who wants to eat urinated
greens anyway? I wonder if a mild vinegar/water solution would harm
the plants? Presently I'm thinking a physical barrier is the only way
to be sure.

If you don't want to put up a full fence, a low hotwire will probably
do, and it's harmless and not unsightly. Tractor supply carries kits.
This also tends to keep rabbits and squirrels out of the garden.

Picture a cat spraying on a hotwire! eg

Hmm an electric fence, sounds sneaky. I like it. :-))

Ok, prolly not funny and I'm a cat lover too, but I DO get sick of cat
spray from neighbors cats that should NOT be running loose.

This being Texas, with alkaline water and soil from limestone, a little
acidity added to the soil probably won't hurt. Just be careful!

Perhaps I should mention I live 10,000 miles away in New Zealand, so
the soil of Texas is a bit faaaaaar away. ;-) Our soil is more
volcanic in nature. I was more concerned about the plants I sprayed.
We're just entering autumn too. I've just realised the mint may not
grow over winter (darn it).
--
Cheers,