Old 13-03-2004, 12:02 PM
Steve & Chris Clark

Default Mower deck Q

Thanks to all that have replied! I will;
1/ Use an angle grinder to trim bolts protruding into cavity of mower deck
area to reduce obstructive intrusion to the flow of clipping from the deck
and paints bare metal.
2/ Adjust "exit flap" to allow freedom of clippings to scatter and creating
less back pressure on exiting clippings and encourage freer flow at the
exit.
3/ Find some of the "slip plate" finish. Use some of the Pam cooking spray.
4/ Keep blades sharp but not at every use, that kind of time I do not have.
5/ Order a load of earth to even out some of the ground unevenness in the
lawn.
6/ Purchase a pressure washer with an extension tip and rinse out clippings
from cavity after each use.
7/ Slow down and adjust the blades to a higher cutting setting. (have been
guilty of cutting too short as we leave this house to go to the lake for
three days each week.)
FAQ:
What type mower? *** Just a Sears 25 Hp 50" swath
How high are you cutting? ****about 3" height.
Engine at maximum? ****Yes
What type grass? Well....Not any fancy grass, and if it be known I use no

insecticides or herbicides. I am a bird watcher and do not mind the busy
blackbirds, makes me joyful to have a property lucky enough to attract four
or more pairs of bluebirds every season. Sparrows and finches love the
dandy lions.
The tree swallows love the lawn mower while I cut! It is a joy to watch how
close they come to the machine. In total between my neighbour we keep about
ten acres of lawn cut. +/- I/we are surrounded by conservation land and
wildlife abounds....so it is a very fancy short pasture.
Are you mulching,**** No

side discharge, ****Yes
have you dethatched lately**** Once a year
or can you bag ****When the mower leaves rows of clipping I do sweep
Have you fertilized lately, and with what?**** Just a 55-00-00 at the

beginning of Aprill to green it up and at the end of June with 35-00-00
(NPK?)**** Sorry, I do not know what this is.

Been to www.Scotts.com ?

---