Old 13-03-2004, 01:35 PM
Frogleg

Default Apples from seed

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 21:55:37 -0500, "MOM PEAGRAM"
wrote:

"Frogleg" wrote

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:42:28 +0100, "Jette Randlov"
wrote:

I keep hearing people saying that the new tree is highly unlikely to

produce
good/eatable/normal apples. Is that really true?

It is true, and rather than being "highly unlikely" for a seed-grown
tree to produce edible apples, the chances are infinitessimally small.
"The Botany of Desire" by Michael Pollan was a best seller in the US a
few years ago, and has an extensive section on the habits and history
of apples.

Johnny appleseed didn't know that I guess.

The book I mentioned discusses John Chapman (Johnny Appleseed)
extensively. As others have posted, the seeds he planted didn't yield
eating apples. From the book: "Every seed in that apple, not to
mention every seed riding down the Ohio alongside John Chapman,
contains the genetic instructions for a completely new and different
apple tree, one that, if planted, would bear only the most glancing
resemblance to its parents."