Old 13-03-2004, 02:16 PM
soon to be birthday girl :)

Default Potato varieties

Gil2 wrote:

In Tenerife recently I noticed the farmers in the North grew an variety of
potatoes and in some of the restaurants they could be bought. The flavours
were tremendous and I would love to know a bit more about them.

I dont mean the papas arugadas which are the standard potatoes boiled in
huge quantities of salt. These were large potatoes looking somewhere between
a sweet potato and a King Ted (then boiled up with huge quantities of salt).

I do not have room to grow potatos but I might try one or two interesting
varieties just for fun.

Any good potato web sites ?

FYI you don't need much room to grow potatoes. Have you considered
growing several different varieties in car tires stacked up? You put
chitted spuds on the bottom, top up with compost, whe shoots appear,
place another tyre and more compost etc until they are about 4 or 5
high. When they are done and the tops died back etc simply dismantle the
structure and you have lots of potatoes.I do it this way because I
neither have room for potatoes which are cheap to buy locally, and I am
lazy and hate digging and earthing up.