Old 13-03-2004, 03:09 PM
Katra

Default Cats - ongoing problem

In article ,
"Loki" wrote:

il Fri, 12 Mar 2004 02:33:11 -0600, Katra ha scritto:

If you don't want to put up a full fence, a low hotwire will probably
do, and it's harmless and not unsightly. Tractor supply carries kits.
This also tends to keep rabbits and squirrels out of the garden.

Picture a cat spraying on a hotwire! eg

Hmm an electric fence, sounds sneaky. I like it. :-))

Cheap too.

Low electric fences are grossly underestimated in their effectiveness...
My border collie was destroying my fence as she leaped up on it racing
cars, and I was terrified she was going to accidently go _over_ the
fence and get hit. I live on a busy street! We strung a low, double
hotwire, one at 6" and one at 18".

Problem solved. Instantly.

Animals learn rather quickly to avoid the wire and the associated area,
and the teaching is dissasociated from the human, so I consider them to
be a humane training tool. They just sting.

Ok, prolly not funny and I'm a cat lover too, but I DO get sick of cat
spray from neighbors cats that should NOT be running loose.

This being Texas, with alkaline water and soil from limestone, a little
acidity added to the soil probably won't hurt. Just be careful!

Perhaps I should mention I live 10,000 miles away in New Zealand, so
the soil of Texas is a bit faaaaaar away. ;-) Our soil is more
volcanic in nature. I was more concerned about the plants I sprayed.
We're just entering autumn too. I've just realised the mint may not
grow over winter (darn it).

Mint is a tough plant, but I still cover my catmint patch with sheets
over the winter to protect it. It's a perrenial. How cold does it get
there?

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...