Old 13-03-2004, 03:17 PM
SueAndHerZoo

Default Strange behavior...

HI, Kathy:
I am absolutely going to bundle up and go test the water shortly. It's only
30 degrees here today! I am, as I type this, doing a partial water
change. Then I hope the temperature will climb at least a few degrees so I
can put my filter back together, get the UV filter out there, and get the
pond up and running. I normally wouldn't consider it while it's still so
cold, but if I'm going to save my critters I have to do something. Yes, it
makes sense that the water parameters could have changed quickly - heck, the
weather here keeps changing quickly! I went to lunch the other day without
a coat on, and today I'm talking about bundling up!

My "zoo" has become SO much smaller since I went back to work full-time.
It now only consists of a mastiff, a pug, a Blue and Gold Macaw, an
African Grey, 2 horses, 5 turtles, 3 frogs, and 50 or so fish. Not too
long ago I also had a Shih-tzu and a cat, but they both died of old age
within a month of each other. And I've also had three monkeys in my
life, which is something I would love to do again, but can't possibly do
while working. They require a LOT of time and attention. Being a
zookeeper yourself, you probably subscribe to my philosophy: "The more I
know people, the more I love my pets". (People on this board are excluded,
of course)
Thanks for writing about my water parameters, I'll bet that's what's going
on, BUT..... why would that cause them to all huddle behind the potted
plant?????
Sue
"Zookeeper" wrote in message
Hi Sue. Have you checked your water quality? Sometimes the water
parameters (pH, KH, ammonia, nitrite, etc. levels) change so quickly in
the spring, that the water becomes slightly toxic and the fish react by
zipping around and jumping. You might want to do a 20-30% water change
just in case.

P.S. What other critters do you have in your "Zoo"? I'm "zookeeper"
because of our three dogs, one cat, one rabbit, and 13 koi, two teenage
boys and one teenage (51 yo) husband, but in the past our zoo has
included another cat, goldfish and a gecko ;-)
--
Zk, aka Kathy
3500gal pond, 13 pond piggies

SueAndHerZoo wrote:
... I don't know why, but the water seems more
green this year than it has in any previous years ... I
... noticed my big platinum koi acting kind of frisky.
He was swimming fast around the perimeter, and even did
a little jump ... I took a walk out there ... and found
that he was trapped behind the potted plant! Not only that,
but there were 4 five others trapped, too! (one dead)

What in heck possessed them to all go back there and get
stuck all of a sudden? ... why this
year, and why all of them? ...