Old 13-03-2004, 04:27 PM
Shiva

Default Climbing rose for chainlink fence

Janet wrote:

hi all- pardon the intrusion, but would
like your opinion. I have a large garden
and have recently put up a chainlink fence which pretty much cut it in
half. (Thanks
to a moment of weakness at the animal
shelter. I had to take the giant dog that
nobody else wanted.) I have been looking into climbing roses and think
that 'Zephrine Drouin" wpuld be a good choice.

First, bless you for adopting the horse! Hope he brings lots
of joy.

Second, I don't grow ZD, but have heard great things
about it. I just don't like pink.

Third, I grow the red climbing hybrid tea Don Juan along
with Sombrueil (or Colonial White, long story) together
on a chain link fence and I love them. S. is white with
a very faint blush center. DJ has a slight rosy
fragrance and perfect ht blooms that look great in a
vase. It stays true red without bluing, too. And it
stays in bloom here in Zone 7b. BUT it isn't thornless.
Mightn't you want some thorns to keep the horse at bay?