Old 13-03-2004, 09:40 PM
Mihai Cartoaje

Default Apples from seed

"Dwayne" wrote in message ...

You probably already know this, but maybe some one doesn't and is
interested, but this is the method we used for starting apple seeds. We put
them in moist dirt in a plastic bag. Then we put them in the crisper in the
refrigerator. After a month, we take it out and check the seeds. If they
have not sprouted, we put them back in and leave them for another month. Do
this until they start sprouting. Then transplant them with the sprouts down
and the seed (if it is still attached) up. As it grows, place it outside
more and more so it gets strong enough to stand dup to the wind.

I have found an other description.

"I worked in apple breeding for thrity plus years.
soak the seed in cold water, from anywhere between 8 and 24 hours,
change the water three times. Drain and remove excess mositure by
patting with dry papper towel, place seed on slightly moist papper
towel (all excess water is removed by twisting), put the towel with
seeds on it into a ziplock bag. Place bag in the coldest spot in your
refrigerator (ideal is mid 30's F). Every two or three weeks check for
rotten seed, remove any bad looking seed. In about seventy days they
might start pushing, if you are ready to plant about then, take seed
out keep in cool room for two or three days the should be pushing a
little white. Plant seed keep them between quarter and half inch deep
keep between 55 & 75 degrees. Good Luck you could get a real winner
or a dude, or somewhere inbetween. The "

55 and 75 degrees from what axis?

What's the difference between the plastic bag and the cool room?

If the seed splits on one side, I just leave it in the bag until it grows a root?

mihai
47N, -40C in winter