Old 13-03-2004, 11:53 PM
nambucca

Default Any Plants or Shrubs For Dry Soil ?

"Mike" wrote in message
I have a border approximately 40ft long , 3ft wide which doesn't get much
sun due to neighbours conifers.

From Spring onwards birds like to have dustbaths at the base and in

between
the Conifers. Its also an area where cats come through at night and leave

me
presents to find in the morning.

Is their something I could plant my side, low and bushy (with small roots)
?

Thanks.

Mike

PS: My family has already suggested Hostas but I'm not keen.

I suffer the same problem ........however have dug down the boundary and

cut off all roots to 2ft and slammed in old paving slabs on their sides to
block the roots path

Then piled in compost my side and planted with a variety of shrubs that are
happy in relatively dry soil and semi shade

Keep them watered the first season and pile on compost every spring you will
find they should put down deep roots and cope

High Hedge bill has been passed just waiting for the nitty gritty so if the
neighbours conifers are tall and blocking your light come end of the year
you will have a lot of bargaining power

See www.hedgeline.org for details