Old 14-03-2004, 02:34 AM
Red

Default Plant suggestion anyone?

Nandinas have a bit of color and depending on the year are mostly deer
resistant. If the deer didn't bother the Photinias then they probably
wouldn't bother the Nadinias. Abelia might be another choice, comes in
standard and dwarf sizes. The standard gets 4-5 feet with only an annual
trimming, has a sweet smelling white flower during the warmer parts of the
year, stays evergreen most of the time and the deer only occasionally take a
bite of the new growth. If you plant them close together and prune 1/3 of
the tallest canes out each spring, new growth will fill in at the lower
levels and should give you a solid hedge.

les" wrote in message
om...
I need somthing to form somewhat of a hedge row along side of my hose.
We had red tip photinias before but I yanked them out for various
reasons.

1. I don't want boxwoods or other similar shrubs...I'm looking for
something with a little color.

2. Sage doesn't really turn me on...too common.

3. I want something with a maximum height of no more than 4 feet.

4. Drought tolerant is preferred.

5. Space gets intense direct early morning to early afternoon sun.

6. MUST be deer-PROOF..."resistant" doesn't seem to do the trick
sometimes.

Suggestions?