Old 14-03-2004, 03:44 AM
Brian

Default transplanting quince help

In my experience, quince are tough as freakin' nails. I have two that I
can't remember the cultivar of, that have (ashamedly) been sitting in
my driveway for TWO years. In full sun, in all seasons. I simply
haven't found a place for them yet, yet there they are, budding out and
probably blooming in the next week or two. They are sharing the space
with a sweet olive and an azalea that I replaced, thinking it was dead
until it came back from the roots, which I dug up and put in a plastic
pot.

I really don't think of myself as a sadist, but these plants are
troopers. I think I might try to plant them tomorrow...

I say cut the quince back so you can handle it (with gloves), and give
it a nice new home in your yard. I believe they like at least half a
day of sun, probably more if you can swing it.

In article et, Gena
wrote:

i have discovered old struggling quince growing in our woods, which is
clearly an old homesite as there is daffodils and other assorted landscape
plants hither and yon.

i would like to move these, there are 3 or 4 spindly stems.

i have no experience with quince! what is good siting for them in the
triangle area, and can i move them now without consequence? my fear about
waiting until fall, (besides the likelyhood i will completely forget!), is
that soon there will be such thick underbrush, they will be impossible to
locate.

thank you,
gena