Old 14-03-2004, 10:55 AM
shazzbat

Default wheelbarrow

"Mike" wrote in message

Unfortunately, putting the wheel under the load in the case of a

wheelbarrow
creates more problems than it solves. The load then becomes that much
higher, meaning you have to shovel your contents higher, unless a very

small
wheel is used, in which case it tends to bog in on wet ground.

Also, it puts the C of G much higher, which results in a tendency to

topple
over sideways, and the pusher is forced to try to counteract it, which

puts
much strain on the arms.

The design of the wheelbarrow is obviously not perfect, but it is one of
those things which has evolved as far as is practical. Various

improvements
have been tried, but AFAIK none have seriously improved the breed. I

believe
it has reached the optimum compromise. I wish the OP every success in
his/her endeavours, but I think the wheelbarrow "as is" is going to be

the
norm for the foreseeable future.

So what you are saying is, that I 'haven't' redesigned the wheel . . . .

..
. .
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
barrow ;-) ?

Sadly not, but don't stop trying. You never know what you might get.
Rudolph Diesel's original intention was to develop an engine that would use
as fuel the enormous amounts of waste coal dust that were lying around on
the Ruhr. It didn't work, but look what we got instead.

Mind you, he blew his workshop to bits twice on the way, so be careful :-))

Steve