Old 14-03-2004, 12:48 PM
Pam Moore

Default Leek surprise

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 12:21:01 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

Fun Fact in yesterday's gardening section of my local paper. It seems
when you trim off the root end of a leek, you can re-plant the root
and produce another leek. Details were sketchy -- how deep and how
much root attatched -- but I'll try and call the extension agent
shortly and follow up. I wonder if this has to do with leeks being
biennials, and if it'll just go to seed, or if one can cultivate a
perpetual leek...

I heard Bob Flowerdew say that on GQT. You have reminded me to try
it. He didn't mention digging up and replanting, just cutting them
off. Good luck! It would be nice if it worked. #
I have never had any success with cabbages, where you are supposed to
cut the cabbage off its stalk and then make a cross cut on the stump
from which 4 new cabbages are said to grow!

Pam in Bristol