Old 14-03-2004, 01:02 PM
Michael Persiano

Default [IBC] spruce

In a message dated 3/13/2004 6:09:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:
anyone have any luck with bird's nest spruce as bonsai? i've tried a few
nursery plants without any success.

--
Peter Kulibert zone 4a/5b
Peter:

Yes. Picea nidiformis, or the Bird's Nest Spruce, is an outstanding species
for bonsai culture. If you are fortunate, you will locate something that has
been growth for decades and be able to extract it safely from its environment.
The most challenging part of working with collected Spruce is getting them
to root. This is particularly challenging when the specimen is characterized
by a taproot and the absence of fibrous roots.

I have included an image of my Thunder at:
http://members.aol.com/iasnob/thunder.html
Many years ago, I discover that 3 enormous wood borers had entered the trunk
of the tree at soil level. This undoubtedly went undetected for years. When
the borers were located during a repotting activity, irreversibly deadly
damage had been done.

With respect to the trees ability to respond to technique and Superfeeding, I
can tell you that this tree was cut extremely hard during the initial
styling, Superfeed, and taken to the posted image within a 5-year period.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
hometown.aol.com/iasnob/index.html

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++