Old 15-03-2004, 12:42 AM
DigitalVinyl

Default Brugmansia aka Angel Trumpets

"quest" wrote:

I just totally love these flowers! Huge beautiful blooms, incredible wafting
fragrance, and neat looking tropical foliage. I plan to plant a whole batch
of them along a fence this year. Do many people here grow them? I know some
of the prettiest are hard to find offline. Which ones do you have? Mine are
only babies so far this year, so I can't share or even trade now, but I'm
curious as to who has what. So far "Butterfly" a deep pink, is my favorite.

I always forget but I know there is some confusino between Brugmansia
and Datura. They look similar and they may have even been lumped
together previously. I faintly recall one has blooms that point up,
one hangs pointing down. I only grew one to see what it was like (not
good for my zone). I believe it was Datura, bloom points up, and pure
white. I overwintered it and it is doing fairly well. Getting bigger,
and had three blooms over the last few weeks indoors. I don't like the
way the lower leaves constantly shed and aren't replaced. I probably
won't over winter it next year. They are striking in since and shape
though. I've seen 7'-8' Datura trees which are very cool looking but
only suitable for greenhouses here.
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener