Old 15-03-2004, 03:02 AM
Katra

Default Tomato Spirals?

In article ,
"FDR" wrote:

Looking through the Garden Tools by Lee Valley catalog, I came across a
tomato staking method using spirals. Basically, it's a 6 foot long piece of
metal that you push into the ground and it is spiraled all the way up. The
tomato plant grows into the spiral and gives natural support. The ad claims
that it is the most popular way to do it in Europe.

Has anybody actually tried these? They are $4.50 a piece and seem like a
bargain. I just don't know how sturdy they are.

I'd like to try staking this year. Just don't know what method to use.

I'd sure give it a shot!!!
It sounds wunnerful.

Traditional tomato cages are almost worthless imho.
I've had better luck using 7 ft. x 1" stakes and just carefully tying
the vine to the stake and to itself as it grew.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...