Old 15-03-2004, 03:46 AM
Ray Drouillard

Default Cilantro

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
"Aria" wrote:

Does anyone here try to grow it??? I've tried so many times both

inside and
out. It always drops dead...Any suggestions?

I was just about to post a question about this... I'll just piggy back
mine on this discussion. I really can't stand cilantro, but I like
ground coriander. I was wondering if anyone grows Coriander/cilantro
for the seeds and if so, does the plant produce a lot of seed, or do
you need to grow many plants. I'm assuming it wil seed on the first
year.

What's your definition of 'a lot of seed', and 'many plants'?

My usual problem is to keep it from going to seed. Once it starts to
bolt, there isn't much you can do about it. Also, once it starts to
bolt, the flavor gets stronger and the stems get tougher.

The plant has flat white flower clusters, and one flower gets you one
seed. Unless you are really pressed for space, the simplest thing to do
is to plant one package of seeds and watch what it does. That should
get you more seeds than you are likely to use in a year.

Ray Drouillard