Old 15-03-2004, 08:43 AM
Jo

Default Best position for a vegetable patch

Hello everyone

I am new to gardening and new to this ng so apologies for the
elementary nature of this question.

My husband and I have recently moved to the Loire Valley in France and
we are lucky to have a spacious garden for the first time. We would
very much like to grow fruit and vegetables but don't really know
where to start.

I have bought some RHS books and I think I have a fair idea of how to
prepare my patch and sow my seeds. However, I don't really know where
to put my patch. We are lucky in that we have enough land to put the
patch wherever is best.

We are thinking of starting with a very small patch and we have bought
some lettuce seeds and seedlings to get ourselves started. We also
have some strawberry plants but I would like to eventually grow runner
beans, peppers, tomatoes etc.

I would say that the climate here is very much like the south of
England although the winters are slightly colder and the summers
slightly warmer. I have been reliably informed that we have had our
last frost but we have bought a polythene tunnel cloche just in case.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks

Jo