Old 15-03-2004, 11:42 AM
Frogleg

Default Tomato Spirals?

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 01:57:16 GMT, "FDR"
wrote:

Looking through the Garden Tools by Lee Valley catalog, I came across a
tomato staking method using spirals. Basically, it's a 6 foot long piece of
metal that you push into the ground and it is spiraled all the way up. The
tomato plant grows into the spiral and gives natural support.

Does anyone know what a full-grown tomato plant with fruit weighs? It
seems as if you'd have to sink at least 18" of this slender spike into
the ground, leaving 4-1/2' to support the plant. With a single,
slender anchor point, and a lot of wind resistance with all the
foliage, I can see the stake working loose with every breeze. Also,the
plant isn't going to 'naturally' grow within the spiral -- you'll have
to twine it around the stake every day or 2. I'd definitely give this
one a miss.