Old 15-03-2004, 01:33 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Cedar Question: Can cedar trees grow roots from cuttings?

Several trees are called "Cedar" and not all of them are. Can
you give us a better idea of which tree you are talking about?

Unfortunately I can't. The leaves look like those of a Juniper

and the
trunk has a strong cedar smell. The wood is red in the center,

and the bark
is kind of flaky in sheets. Hope this helps...

Sounds like a "red cedar" -- which is a juniper, though Colorado
is a funny place to find those, I think (though it seems to get
well into Kansas). They're so common around here that I've never
tried to do a Juniperus virginiana cutting, but other juniper do
pretty well from cuttings.

Give it a try. Use rooting hormone (Rootone is fine) and keep it
_damp_ NOT wet. I wouldn't try anything thicker than a
matchstick or a pencil -- at least at first.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++