Old 26-01-2003, 04:35 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Newbie question

Yes, I did indeed water by submerging, but not for a while.
I will try the method you suggest. How much water per day
is advisable?

None -- per day. Only water when the soil feels dry. Plants
don't need as much water during winter -- their off season.

As far as the Zelkova bit -- Iris is undoubtedly right. It Is
NOT a Zelkova, it is a Chinese elm, probably one of the cultivars
of Ulmus parvifolia. I'd forgotten that these are often
(dishonestly) imported to the US as Zelkova species because of
certain import restrictions on some Ulmus species (because of
Dutch elm disease, I'm told).

Elms are deciduous, too., but some of them hang onto their leaves
until just as the new spring leaves are coming out.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++