Old 15-03-2004, 11:38 PM
Frogleg

Default Tomato Spirals?

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 18:53:10 GMT, "FDR"
wrote:

Frogleg wrote:

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 01:57:16 GMT, "FDR" wrote

Looking through the Garden Tools by Lee Valley catalog, I came across a
tomato staking method using spirals. Basically, it's a 6 foot long

piece of
metal that you push into the ground and it is spiraled all the way up.

I like those cages from Gardener's supply too, but I can't see myself paying
so much for them. If they were cheaper I'd definitely get them.

Go somewhere like Home Depot and get a roll of 6" mesh concrete
reinforcing wire. Ask about what kind of tool you need to cut the
wire.

Here's a rough illustration and directions:

http://www.extension.umn.edu/project...37trellis.html

This page suggests tying the cage to a stake, but if you snip off the
bottom wire, you'll have a 6" multi-spike perimeter to put into the
ground. These are sturdy, last for years and years, and do a good job
of supporting the tomatoes.