Old 15-03-2004, 11:40 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Default [IBC] Japanese Maple Air Layer - Node?

I'll second that - I did a couple of air layers on A. palmatum last summer.
One caution from my experience, DON't use the stronger rooting hormone. I
got plenty of roots where I wanted them, however, I also got roots nearly
everywhere else on the trunk as well! They popped out everywhere and then
dried up (of course). Maples root REALLY easily - you probably don't even
need the additional rooting hormone beyond what is present in spaghnum moss
naturally.

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

Blake,

You can make your top cut anywhere you like on A.palmatum. Roots will form
at the cut and just above it so a little thought should go into where you
make it, but right at a node isn't really necessary in my experience. I
just use powder root hormone (Rootone or Schultz) and have never had any
difficulty. I like the powder because I can SEE where I put it. Good luck.
I seems a bit early to begin this, at least in my area where the leaves are
just emerging.
Regards,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++