Old 26-01-2003, 05:03 PM
dalecochoy

Default [IBC] Rapeseed cake a non-no

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Lewis"
Subject: [IBC] Rapeseed cake a non-no

According to the folks at Joshua Roth, commercial rapeseed cake

is no longer
allowed to be imported into the US. Has anyone read anything

about this?
Bunabayashi Bonsai On The World Wide Web:

http://www.bunabayashi.com
email:

Jim Lewis said:
You might want to take this with a grain of salt.

There's a fairly large agricultural business in growing rapeseed
in the US and Canada now, anyway. Why import it? There must be
ample sources of domestic rapeseed meal.

Jim Lewis

Dave,
Have someone read the bag contents to you if in Japanese.
Years ago I used to get cakes from a Japanese importer in NJ and had him
read the bag to me. It was mostly "Rice meal".
Jim,
When I started making my own cakes I looked EVERYWHERE for rapeseed MEAL. It
is impossible to find. Most rapeseed is grown for BIRDSEED I think, so, if
you want the meal you'd have to pick it up under the birdfeeder!
but, Cottonseed meal is fairly easily obtained and fairly cheap and pretty
much the same thing as I recall. Any good nurserty carries it in bags in the
Spring. It is one of the ingredients in my "Poo Balls". ( also kelp meal)
Dale Cochoy

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++