Old 26-01-2003, 06:35 PM
Patrick Alexander

Default [IBC] Mycorrhiza

Nina Shishkoff wrote:

Endomycorrhizae have large, thick-walled spores that blow in the
wind.

So far as I can tell, wind is not significant as a dispersal agent
of endomycorrhizae except in arid areas, where significant amounts of dry
soil may become airborne. See `Dispersal Agents of Vesicular-Arbuscular
Mycorrhizal Fungi in a Disturbed Arid Ecosystem', in Mycologia, v. 79, pp
721-730, from which I quote: `Animals appear to be the major vectors for
dispersal of VAM fungi in many mesic habitats (e.g., Marx, 1975; Maser et
al., 1978; Allen, 1987). However, since extensive wind erosion is common
in many arid regions, wind might be an equally important dispersal vector
(Trappe, 1981; MacMahon and Warner, 1984).' I also know a couple of people
who work on VAM fungi in prairie habitats, and they treat it as common
knowledge that wind isn't a significant dispersal agent in these habitats,
and that VAM fungi are very poorly dispersed. *shrug*

They'll infect a potted bonsai.

Maybe, maybe not.

Patrick Alexander