Old 15-03-2004, 11:49 PM
Philippe Gautier

Default Fritillaria Imperialis

jane wrote:
On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:51:51 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

~
~"Rod" wrote in message after
~ shazzbat wrote after:
~
~ "Glenda" wrote in message
~ Does anyone have any idea when I can expect to see fritillaria
~ imperialis bulbs coming through, that I planted last autumn?
~
~
~ Is Imperialis the "snakehead" type? ours are showing now.
~
~ No, this is the 'Crown Imperial'. Never grown, it we don't have the sunny
~ spot or chalky soil it needs.
~
~About the end of the month if my memory serves me well, watch out though,
~all ours were eventually killed by Lilly Beetle which devastate them in
~short order if you don't spray or at least check them over daily. The slugs
~and snails are also a problem.
~Foul smell of foxes too.

I noticed mine were up this morning, as in well and truly up (a good
3"). They're also nibbled already, but not sure what by. Can't see any
lily beetles yet, but I'm very pleased that I've got three whorls of
leaves up this year where last I had two. Hee. And this despite last
year finding one of said beetles (and introducing it to a boot)

Yes they do pong.

I do have chalky soil (or more accurately soilly chalk!) as I'm in the
Chilterns.

Same here (growth and nibbling) in Edinburgh (wet heavy soil)

Philippe