Old 15-03-2004, 11:50 PM
Martin Sykes

Default Worms.

"Soup" wrote in message
Have a very heavy clay soil.. Have it in the back of my mind that worms
would loosen this soil up but the garden was slabbed for years so there
is no evidence of worms at all. Wondered if there was a worm supplier
(Edinburgh region) and I could make holes with a garden fork and put a
worm in each hole leave it alone for a year and voila unclaggy soil.

Is this a viable option or is it down to taking tons of soil out, putting
sand in and putting most of the soil back ?

--
Yours S. addy not usable (not that you would try it) ( )
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant! / \

Worms need some organic matter to mix in. I don't expect they would do much
with raw clay. You might fare better by planting some strong root crops on
it to break up the soil instead. I'm not sure what, but potatos might do the
job well. You shouldn't need to remove the clay as it's usually very rich in
nutrients. You just need to supplement it a bit.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )