Old 16-03-2004, 04:33 AM
Chris Boulby

Default Grafting Daphne

In message , Trevor Appleton
writes
Have just had the unpleasant task of felling my favourite shrub in the
garden - an 8ft tall Daphne bholua 'Darjeeling'.

I was instructed by the Chief Domestic that it had to go as it was blocking
the view from the conservatory, fortunately some of it is left to grow on as
it had two stems. However, I now have masses of grafting material if I only
had some rootstocks.

Any ideas? Are there any commonly available plants that would do?

I have a few small Daphne retusa, which it would be a shame to hack, but I
could use these if they were suitable.

Trevor

East Yorkshire

Hi Trevor,

Not knowing any better, I foolishly put some tips of D. tangutica into a
mix of sand and vermiculite, my favourite medium for propagating almost
anything, and about 30% rooted for me in the unheated greenhouse in
shade. So if you have loads anyway, why not stick a few growing tips in
to see if you have any luck. I keep the medium moist but not wet.

Cheers

Christine
--
Chris Boulby National Collection of Diascias