Old 16-03-2004, 04:35 AM
Rod

Default Horticultural Qualifications

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 17:29:02 -0000, "Martin Sykes"
wrote:

Can anyone recommend horticultural qualifications which can be earned
through home-learning? Our local college does various courses but all
require at least month long work placements which would mean giving up work
for a while - not really an option.

I'm looking for something which covers general gardening techniques -
identification of plants, propagation, pruning etc. ideally something widely
recognised and respected as I'd like eventually to switch careers once the
mortgage is paid off and the kids have gone through school.

Also, how much do they cost and how much time in total would I need to find?

RHS General is a good start (Well respected, the exams are consistent
and well moderated)it can be done by correspondence course tho' I have
no experience of any of the providers. Our local Land Based college
does the General as evening classes and/or day release. The general is
not a dead end you can continue to higher qualifications if you have
the time and ability. Do try to get some practical work in even if
only as a volunteer - no courses I'm aware of have anywhere close to
sufficient practical content and practical ability is what all
potential employers are looking for and they will want to see it on
the CV. The General can be done in a year - 2 if you have no basic
science as in decent GCSE. The syllabus is very broad in all the areas
you mention - the standard - probably similar to a very good GCSE.
City and Guilds is theoretically very good but in practice the
standard of teaching and assessment is very patchy - Good college,
good tutor, good examiner and it's well worth doing but just seeing it
on the CV without any knowledge of the course I'd be wary. Having said
that; last time I hired anybody the best candidate brought some of her
C&G design work (from Writtle) and it was superb. She slipped through
the net, the estate wouldn't offer her enough pay.
Rod

Weed my email address to reply