Old 16-03-2004, 04:36 AM
Mary Fisher

Default New Gardener, not got a clue !!!

"KEVIN MORRISSEY" wrote in message
Hi,

Can anyone help on a simple question and my problem.

My next door neighbour has 'kindly' built an extension next to my house,
which means I am now staring at a boring wall when I look out of my kitchen
window.

My idea is to place some trestles on the wall and add some climber types
of plants.

It is a shaded area most of the day, only getting sun about 3pm for
about an hour to 2 hours. The 'soil' is basically clay, so I would need I
think a hardy plant with these conditions.

I'm thinking of some kind of an 'ivy', but don't know where to start.

We used Goldheart ivy on the side of our garage which is most of my view
from the kitchen sink, it really is cheerful and needs minimal maintenance.
Takes a year or two to get going though. If I'd known what I know now I'd
have sown annuals in the interim, especially canary creeper, which is very
jolly.

Mary

--
Regards,