Old 16-03-2004, 01:02 PM
Salty Thumb

Default push reel mower shopping

Has anybody done any push reel mower shopping recently? I am about to take
the plunge and get a Scotts 20-2000 for $120, mainly because of the 20"
cutting width. There was some message on the group about staying away from
Scotts and some other people saying they were looking for the 'Scotts
Classic'. There is also a 18" American brand for $100 that I'm considering
as an alternative. Yeah, they are from box stores, but I'm open to other
sources if someone can tell me what they are.

I found some reviews on Amazon.com, mostly good, but who knows if they are
just shill posts. In the group, there was also some guy raving about
German engineered push reel mowers (and another about some electric push
reels that I'm not interested in).

Some specific questions, I am a cheapskate, do these things ever go on
sale? Do these things still work okay when pushed at a running (vs.
walking) speed? I've been wasting a lot of time lollygagging behind a
gasoline mower and I'd to try shaving the lawn at brisker pace.