Old 16-03-2004, 01:37 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Worms.

The message
from "Soup" contains these words:

Have a very heavy clay soil.. Have it in the back of my mind that worms
would loosen this soil up but the garden was slabbed for years so there
is no evidence of worms at all. Wondered if there was a worm supplier
(Edinburgh region) and I could make holes with a garden fork and put a
worm in each hole leave it alone for a year and voila unclaggy soil.

Is this a viable option or is it down to taking tons of soil out, putting
sand in and putting most of the soil back ?

If you can bear to wait, by far the best way to do this is to cover the
area with an inch or two of sand, then a layer of fresh stable manure,
then the stuff which greengrocers throw out - most would give it to you
gladly unless someone else is already having it, then, when you have
built the heap up to (say) two feet high, pile on straw, cardboard,
newspaper etc and cover the lot with old (not artificial fibre though)
carpet, and cap that with a stout sheet of black polythene AND LEAVE IT
FOR AT LEAST A YEAR. (Get the polythene from a builders' merchant.)

The worms will find it, don't you worry, and when you take the polythene
off they will have mixed everything and as good as dug the plot for you
too.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/