Old 16-03-2004, 02:02 PM
escapee

Default Brugmansia aka Angel Trumpets

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 02:58:52 GMT, DigitalVinyl opined:

I've never hear it called devil's trumpet. The seed packet atually
said Angel's Trumpet

Yeah, I'm not crazy about nodding flowers in general. Maybe if I grew
them on a higher windowbox or hanging pot so they would be more
visible. And since I have to overwinter them indoors I'll probably
skip growing them in the future.

Brugmansia do very well in tubs and mine are all at least 8 feet tall. They
store in any cool, dry, dark place over the winter, mine are in the greenhouse,
but I do have about three of them in the shed.

I removed the ones from the shed and divided them, planted the air layered
branches and now have 5 plants of that variety.

I also grow datura. D. metel, D. meteloides, D. inoxia, D. wrightii, D.
stramonium. They are all hardy for me in Zone 8b, but I grow fresh plants each
year from seed. That way, I find, they are not as leggy at the bottom of the
plant. I also keep them pruned which encouraged inner and lower foliage to
develop, giving nice form to the plants. The D. wrightii has huge white
flowers, about 10 inches across. They bloom in waves about every three weeks.
They require a lot of fertilization and excellent soil with plenty of compost.
I have no problems with them. Every night the giant sphynx and hawk moths visit
and they are a magnificent sight. There is a hummingbird moth which also comes
in the morning and throughout the day sips nectar from other plants in the
garden.

Victoria