Old 16-03-2004, 11:28 PM
Mapman

Default Tomato Spirals?

Loki wrote:

I read one just a week ago. They put stakes in at each end (10feet)
and planted the tomatoes in between. then as they grew they wove
twine from one stake to the other, and adding twine as the toms grew
taller. I didn't see a picture, but they must use 2 twine each time
to hold the plant. It said they grew much better that when
individually staked.

For the past 6 years I've used what I call a horizontal trellis: 14
gauge fence mesh hung between 2x2 posts, with an additional post along
the long side. I simply staple the fencing to the post inserted in one
of the openings. I use one fencing layer at 21 inches and another at 39
inches. Easy to put up and disassemble. Plants grow up thru the mesh
and fruits are supported well.