Old 17-03-2004, 04:06 AM
B & J

Default Butterfly Garden

"junkyardcat" wrote in message
I want to expand my butterfly garden this year. I want bright colorful and
fragrant flowers...what do you suggest? What do the butterflies and
hummingbirds just go wild about?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Angie in East Texas

Try planting some lantanas and buddleias for butterflies and be sure to
plant some host plants for the butterfly larvae. I'm not familiar the
butterflies of your area, but a Google search should identify what is a good
host for the caterpillars for the various kinds. I plant parsley, dill, and
butterfly weed for our native butterflies, but many other plants also serve
as hosts.

BTW, a couple of flowers that attract butterflies but aren't fragrant are
zinnias and Mexican heather.

Put up some feeders for the humming birds with a boiled mixture of sugar
water (1 cup sugar to 4 cups of water). Yes, there are a number of flowers
that attract humming birds, but this is the quickest and easiest way. Be
sure to have several feeders at widely spaced locations so that a dominant
humming bird is unable to guard all of them. I usually have eight to ten
hummers fighting over space at each feeder.

John