Old 17-03-2004, 04:10 AM
Steve Wolfe

Default Lime or limestone?

The "lime" which is sold in garden stores, Home Depot, etc is really
limestone. Limestone is CaCO3 and is very slow to react against the

acid
in the ground. Real lime is CaOH which is very reactive and very

basic.
That's the stuff used in privy's and by movie murders to get rid of the
body! We used to use lime for the yard lines on the football field.

If
you use too much, you can ruin your lawn. I suspect that's why I can't
find lime anymore. Can anyone point me to a source of lime?

I'm pretty curious as to why you believe that garden-store lime is lime
stone, and not lime.

If you're really set that garden-store lime isn't really lime, go to
the hardware store (even Home Depot), and walk over by the cement. Lime
is used to make morter, and as anyone who's mixed/used it without gloves
can tell you, it's definitely CaOH, not CaCO3 - unless you've been letting
the lime get moist, of course.

steve