Old 17-03-2004, 04:12 AM
RedForeman ©®

Default Eradicating BBA

Manual Removal - if it's not there, it_Can't_ grow... right?

Wrong. Red algae is designed to survive in fast moving stream water by
nailing itself to rocks, wood, and plants. This stuff is related to
coraline in the sea. Ever tried pulling barnacles off rocks at the coast?
Not easy and certainly not fun. Epoxy cement has real competition here.

It is extremely tough just trying to scrape BBA off plastic tubes,

virtually
impossible to get it off of wood, and IS impossible to get it off other
plants without ripping them to shreds!

Going through all that work and nightmare may make it less visible for a
short time, but you have done absolutely nothing to remove it from the
system. There are spores in the water, there are fragments still

remaining
on all of the surfaces. You will never get rid of it mechanically. It

will
just keep coming back. Physical removal is a total waste of time and
effort unless you have chemically killed it first.

I'm convinced that sterilization by Chlorine or equiv. is the only way to

be
rid of this stuff. Perhaps the AZOO Brush Algae Killer does the trick.

It
appears that no one in the USA or Canada has this stuff yet. I'm still
looking for it.

It should be noted, as NEMO said in the previous post, even after you kill
this stuff it still does not decay away. The threads are still there,

dead
and bleached out white. Now ask yourself, if this stuff was anything like
Green algae, why doesn't it just fad away as soon as you kill it? Because
Red Algae is very different. The threads are made of very tough fiberous
material - its freshwater seaweed.

Chris.

My bad, I thought you were asking how others deal with it, when they had
it... I didn't realize you'd already made up your mind and was just
searching for a specific answer to confirm you're already made up mind...

I've been dealing with it for 4 months, and not really having a major spaz
about it, it's not growing anymore, it's declining, and nuking the tank
isn't one of my preferred methods of fixing stuff...

I hope you have some luck with azoo, or clorox, whichever method you choose,
as I'll be one that is sincerely interested in what you learn, find and if
and when you report back here, we'll go from there....

Thanks for your time...

--
RedForeman ©® future fabricator and creator of a ratbike streetfighter!!!

==========================
2003 TRX450ES
1992 TRX-350 XX (For Sale)
1987 TRX250R (sold)
1987 CBR600 Hurricane (sold)
1987 VFR700 Interceptor (sold)
1995 TRX300ex (sold)
2000 CBR600F4 silver/red (sold) *sniff*sniff*
'98 Tacoma Ext Cab 4X4 Lifted....
"By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer
meets the definition of a telephone fax machine. By Sec.227(b)(1)(C),
it is unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to such equipment.
By Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is
punishable by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500,
whichever is greater, for each violation."

If you do send me unsolicited e-mail I will proof-read it at a rate
of $100 per hour (4 hour minimum).